Energy-Saving Cooking Tips
Adjust the flame to fit the pan size. Never extend a gas flame beyond the bottom of the pan; this only wastes heat.
- Be sure that your pot cover fits well. Good-fitting covers keep pan temperatures more even and hold in heat, odour and steam.
- When using a gas oven, set timer for the estimated cooking time and open the oven door only when necessary. The oven temperature drops whenever the door is opened.
- Preheating is usually unnecessary. However, if the manufacturer of your gas oven does recommend preheating, preheat no longer than 10 minutes. Any longer only wastes energy.
- Turn the oven off as soon as cooking is completed.
- Use the oven to full capacity whenever possible. Plan meals so several dishes can be cooked in the oven simultaneously. Bake double recipes or cook an entire meal in the oven meat, potatoes, vegetables, hot bread and dessert.
More useful cooking Tips
Eggs boiled not broken
Make a pinprick in the rounded end of the shell to help to prevent cracking when boiling.
Cutting onions without crying
There are lots of ways to avoid your eyes watering when chopping onions. For example, wearing glasses, chewing parsley or chilling your onions before slicing them.
Great jacket potatoes
Prick the outside a few times with a fork. Add a few drops of olive oil, then rub it all over the skin. After that, rub in some crushed salt to make the skin nice and crunchy.
Use boiling liquid and add slowly to the roux. Cook between each addition and stir in well. Whisk whenever possible and if in real trouble, pass through a sieve.
Making the perfect pasta
Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling water. The pan must be large enough for the water to remain at a good rolling boil, so the pasta moves around as it cooks, preventing it from sticking together.
Cooking fluffy rice
If you cover the rice with about 2.5cm (1 inch) of water it should always cook properly without sticking. After boiling for five minutes, turn the heat down very low, cover with a lid and steam for the rest of the cooking time, without stirring